Take this quick bees quiz to test your knowledge about the different types of bees! Good luck!
1. How many eyes does a bee have?
2. How many honey bees could you find in a healthy colony, at its peak?
a) 100 to 200 honey bees
b) 50 honey bees
c) More than 50,000 honey bees
d) About 1,000 to 2,000 honey bees
3. All of these flowers are useful for bees apart from one. Which is it?
a) Ornamental Bizzy Lizzy
4. What are the members of the honey bee colony?
a) 3 queens, and a combination of knights and soldiers
b) A queen, a beekeeper, and a hive
c) A queen, workers and drones
d) Honey bees and houseflies
5. How many pairs of wings does a bee have?
6. Which of these is NOT a real species of bee?:
a) The Hairy Footed Flower Bee
b) Common Masked Bee
c) The Black-Kneed Bee
d) Sharp-tailed bee
7. For how long can a queen honey bee live? (assuming she is not killed by predators, and does not catch diseases):
a) Possibly 3 – 4 years.
b) About 6 weeks
c) Possibly 24 - 36 weeks
d) Up to 100 years
8. How many types of bees are there in the whole world?
a) About 25,000 known species, with probably more to be discovered.
b) About 15,000 known species, with probably more to be discovered.
c) About 1000,000,000 species, already discovered.
d) Around 100.
9. Which of these foods is not pollinated by bees?:
b) Runner bean
10. Which solitary bee cuts neat little circular shapes from leaves, with which it constructs the egg cells for its nest? (note – this causes no harm to the plant):
a) The Chainsaw-Bee
b) The Leafcutter Bee
c) The Hole Cutting Bee
d) The Plant Cutting Bee.
11. Which of these is not made by honey bees:
12. What do bees collect from flowers?
a) Milk and honey
b) Nectar and other insects
c) Nectar and pollen
d) Sugar and nectar
13. How much honey can a single honey bee make in its life time?
a) About a twelfth of a teaspoon
b) About a tablespoon
c) About a gallon
d) About a jar
14. All of these tips will help the bees apart from one. Which is it?
a) Include wildflowers and herbs in your garden, along with other good bee plants.
b) Use lots of insecticides to kill as many insects as possible so there is no competition for flowers from other pollinators.
c) Stop using insecticides in the garden.
d) Ensure you bee-friendly plants flowering throughout the seasons.
15. What type of bee is this??
a) Honey bee
b) Mason bee
c) Bumble bee
d) Nomad bee
Now click below for the answers to this Bees Quiz!
Too easy? Try a harder test!