When people talk about having a bee allergy, they are usually referring to an allergy to bee stings. However, allergic reactions can occur when exposed to bee products such as bee pollen and honey.
Most bee species are docile, and males cannot sting in any case, however, accidents can and do happen. You may experience a reaction that could be considered ‘normal’ and treatable at home, or you may have a more severe allergic reaction - known as anaphalyaxis.
In a tiny number of cases, an allergy to bee stings can be fatal!
Seek urgent medical attention if:
If you are aware you have a bee sting allergy, you should carry an Epi-pen. In addition, there are ways to prevent stings such as:
Read more about this topic in greater detail: preventing bee stings.
Venom extractor kits are now available, like this one, from amazon.
Left: these children's wrist/arm bands are a great idea and are designed to repel insects.
People also report allergy to bee products, such as bee
pollen, which is sold as a health supplement. You can read more about this in greater detail here.
People can also be allergic to honey too, although again, it is not a very common problem. Symptoms can include swelling of the tongue, sneezing, watery eyes, dizziness, itchy/scratchy feeling in the throat. Very often and allergic reaction to honey can be treated with anti-histamines if they are suitable for you, but symptoms can vary in severity and if in doubt, always seek advice from a medical professional.
COPYRIGHT 2010 - 2019: WWW.BUZZABOUTBEES.NET
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.