Bees Quiz 1
Take this quick bees quiz to test your knowledge about the different types of bees! Good luck!
1. How many eyes does a bee have?
2. How many honey bees could you find in a healthy colony, at its peak?
a) 5,000 to 6,000 bees
b) 1,000,000 bees
c) Upto 50,000 to 60,000 bees
d) About 1,000 bees
3. Which of the following flowers provides little nectar and pollen and so is NOT much use for bees?
a) Ornamental Bizzy Lizzy
b) Ivy - hedera helix
d) Dead nettle
4. A honey bee colony is a super-efficient organisation – of what?
a) About 3 queens, and a combination of knights and soldiers
b) A queen, a beekeeper, and a hive
c) A queen, workers and drones
d) Honey bees and houseflies
5. The most significant reason that all species of bees are important is because:
a) They make honey.
b) They pollinate plants, which provide humans and wildlife with food, and ensure biodiversity.
c) They are pretty.
d) If there were no bees, the companies selling beehives and empty jars for honey, would go out of business.
6. Which of these is NOT a real species of bee?:
a) The Hairy Footed Flower Bee
b) Common Masked Bee
c) The Black-Kneed Bee
d) Sharp-tailed bee
7. For how long can a queen honey bee live? (assuming she is not killed by predators, and does not catch diseases):
a) Possibly 3 – 4 years.
b) About 6 weeks
c) Possibly 24 - 36 weeks
d) Up to 10 years
8. How many types of bees are there in the whole world?
a) About 25,000 known species, with probably more to be discovered.
b) About 15,000 known species, with probably more to be discovered.
c) About 100,000 species, already discovered.
d) Around 100.
9. Assuming good health, and that neither disease nor predators kill them, which of these lives the longest?
a) The bumblebee queen
b) The honey bee drone
c) The honey bee queen
d) The mason bee.
Which solitary bee cuts neat little holes from leaves, with which it
constructs the egg cells for its nest? (note – this causes no harm to
a) The Chainsaw-Bee
b) The Leafcutter Bee
c) The Hole Cutting Bee
d) The Plant Cutting Bee.
11. Honey bees can be found in hives made by humans. But where would they prefer to nest if in the wild?
a) Underground, in a deep hole they excavate themselves.
b) In a ready-made, abandoned fox hole.
c) In a hollow tree trunk or in the cavity of a building.
d) In an open space on a tussock of grass.
12. What do bees collect from flowers?
a) Honey and pollen
b) Nectar and other insects
c) Nectar and pollen
d) Sugar and nectar
13. How much honey can a single honey bee make in its life time?
a) About a twelfth of a teaspoon
b) About a tablespoon
c) About an eighth of a table spoon
d) About a jar
14. Which of these tips will NOT help bees?
a) Include wildflowers and herbs in your garden, along with other good bee plants.
b) Use lots of insecticides to kill as many insects as possible.
c) Stop using insecticides in the garden.
d) Ensure you have good bee plants flowering throughout the seasons.
15. Identify the bumblebee species below:
a) Bombus fluffybottomus - The Fluffy-bottomed bumblebee
b) Bombus bigbottomus - The Big-bottomed bumblebee
c) Bombus ruberbottomus - The Red-bottomed bumblebee
d) Bombus lapidarius - The Red-tailed bumblebee
Now click below for the answers to this Bees Quiz!
Too easy? Try a harder test!
Link from Bees Quiz 1 to Home page
COPYRIGHT 2010 - 2014: WWW.BUZZABOUTBEES.NET
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.