Bees Quiz 1
Take this quick bees quiz to test your knowledge about the different types of bees! Good luck!
2. How many honey bees would you find in a typical healthy colony during the active summer season?
b) 1,000,000 bees
c) 50,000 to 60,000 bees
d) About 1,000 bees
3. Which of the following flowers provides little nectar and pollen and so is NOT much use for bees?
b) Ivy - hedera helix
d) Dead nettle
4. A honey bee colony is a super-efficient organisation – of what?
b) A queen, a beekeeper, and a hive
c) A queen, workers and drones
d) Honey bees and houseflies
5. The most significant reason that all species of bees are important is because:
b) They pollinate plants, which provide humans and wildlife with food, and ensure biodiversity.
c) They are pretty.
d) If there were no bees, the companies selling beehives and empty jars for honey, would go out of business.
6. Which of these is NOT a real species of bee?:
b) Common Masked Bee
c) The Black-Kneed Bee
d) Sharp-tailed bee
7. For how long can a queen honey bee live? (assuming she is not killed by predators, and does not catch diseases):
b) About 6 weeks
c) Possibly 24 - 36 weeks
d) Up to 10 years
8. How many types of bees are there in the whole world?
b) About 15,000 known species, with probably more to be discovered.
c) About 100,000 species, already discovered.
d) Around 100.
9. Assuming good health, and that neither disease nor predators kill them, which of these lives the longest?
b) The honey bee drone
c) The honey bee queen
d) The mason bee.
10. Which solitary bee cuts neat little holes from leaves, with which it constructs the egg cells for its nest? (note – this causes no harm to the plant):
b) The Leafcutter Bee
c) The Hole Cutting Bee
d) The Plant Cutting Bee.
11. Honey bees can be found in hives made by humans. But where would they prefer to nest if in the wild?
b) In a ready-made, abandoned fox hole.
c) In a hollow tree trunk or in the cavity of a building.
d) In an open space on a tussock of grass.
12. What do bees collect from flowers?
b) Nectar and other insects
c) Nectar and pollen
d) Sugar and nectar
13. How much honey can a single honey bee make in its life time?
b) About a tablespoon
c) About an eighth of a table spoon
d) About a jar
14. Which of these tips will NOT help bees?
b) Use lots of insecticides to kill as many insects as possible.
c) Stop using insecticides in the garden.
d) Ensure you have good bee plants flowering throughout the seasons.
15. Identify the bumblebee species below:
b) Bombus bigbottomus - The Big-bottomed bumblebee
c) Bombus ruberbottomus - The Red-bottomed bumblebee
d) Bombus lapidarius - The Red-tailed bumblebee
Now get the answers to this Bees Quiz! Click the button below: